24 September 2008

Cue: Drop, Other Shoe

When I handed in my two week notice last Monday, I felt a deepening sense of dread the entire weekend. Dread because I knew the people for whom I work were going to take the decision personally.

Nothing was initially said, but I did not accept that nothing would be said. Their displeasure would be released, I was certain of it. I had nothing more than a hunch and prior experience to base this on.

They realized something was amiss when, after I told them I was leaving, that my primary customer knew as well- because they were one of my references. That generated a look upon realization of "you sneaky bastard."

Yesterday, I was called into the office and "feelings were expressed."

After telling me that had I approached them first, they would have been happy to see me go and would have provided great letters, I nodded. When they finished, I countered with a simple "you didn't make me feel comfortable with that option and the decision I made at the time was solid." When I explained my reasoning, they retreated from their indignance and were conciliatory. "No hard feelings" was said enough times to attempt to mask the hard feelings.

Tick tock. Three more days to go.

No comments: