28 February 2008

Things are looking up....?

Despite being in my sixth and hopefully final month of unemployment, job prospects are looking up a bit. Yesterday, I interviewed with Robert Half Technology, and despite some seeming disasters, it still looks like I made a good enough impression for them to at least forward my resume for possible jobs.
Let's count the disasters.
My interview was scheduled for 10 a.m yesterday in Northbrook. My alarm failed to wake me up, so I looked at the alarm clock and swore when I saw the time was 8:55 already.
A quick breakfast, shave and shower later, and I was on my way.
I arrived at the place at 10:05, but had to fill out some paperwork anyway. Turns out I didn't bring the right forms of ID, so I'll have to take care of that later.
Finally, I started talking with the recruiter. He did a pretty good job in making his company stand out from the other headhunters I've dealt with thus far.
Problem is, about halfway through the talk, I realized my fly was down.
I mentally made a note of all the swearing I would do if I weren't in the middle of an interview, consciously moving my tie so it would cover the fly. Not sure if it was noticed or not.
At any rate, I waited for the recruiter to leave the room, then made sure anything that was open was closed for good.
The recruiter then decided now would be a good time for me to take an assessment test. Yay. I endured assessments on Windows and LAN troubleshooting, cursing quietly to myself every time the computer indicated I got a question wrong.
Boy, did I get a lot of stuff wrong.
As luck goes, though, turns out my scores were either average or slightly above average for other folks who had taken the same assessments. Maybe there's hope.
Now, I have to fill out some tax forms for the company, just in case they can get a job for me.
I was also (finally) contacted by another contracting company earlier this afternoon. They forwarded my info to a client, who apparently wants to meet with me tomorrow morning.
Yikes.
Once again, I'll have to bathe, shave and such to make myself at least partially presentable to someone. The job doesn't pay as much as my last one, but it would get me some experience with my Cisco knowledge, which is more what I want at this point.
Hopefully, I can get something soon. There's only so much Springer I can stand.

No comments: