24 March 2008

Catholic Schoolgirls in Trouble after interrupting Easter mass



Quick note: I was raised Catholic but no longer go to church on a regular basis, mostly out of laziness.
Anyway, when I heard about this, I was disgusted. Easter Sunday is the holiest day in the church calendar, and for these assholes to disrupt the service in this fashion just pisses me off.
Please, don't get me started on any first amendment/freedom of speech stuff. Trust me, the clowns who've littered message boards on this have all claimed that what these mooks did is protected speech.
Thing is, the first amendment also includes the freedom to peaceably practice religion and gather, which the jerks listed in this story interfered with when they decided to pull this stunt.
What really kills me about this group is that they were mad at Cardinal George for meeting with President Bush and Mayor Daley for a luncheon a few months ago. I suppose they equate the lunch with being a Bush sympathizer.
I don't get it. Aren't church leaders supposed to meet with politicians to accomplish whatever they can for the church, and by default, the people of the church? Should church leaders just refuse to sit down with any leader who does something that some obscure group somewhere opposes?
Of course not.
I understand the antiwar sentiment. I understand the need to protest. I don't understand the need to interrupt a service, desecrate a church and assault your fellow man just to get your point across. There was a 70-year-old man, an usher, who was in tears after this happened. He'd suffered from cancer and from what I remember, only recently returned to serve the church. Did he really have to endure that?
Is this kind of stuff really necessary to make people pay attention? Is it really necessary to protest violence by using violence?
At any rate, these folks should get what's coming to them: fines, and hopefully some jail time. They've already spent a night in the clink at 26th and California, and that makes me feel all warm inside. Maybe someone in the jail will be nice enough to throw a blanket party for them.
Protest the war if you want, but don't assault others to get your point across.
Makes you wonder if anyone even takes anything other than the "eye for an eye" message to heart anymore.

1 comment:

Lance said...

Bill! Link please! We in Japan have no frickin clue what you're talking about. (as for my Easter, I spent many hours in a very holy, Catholic-aligned place: all night in an Irish pub after missing the last train... but I promise, the schoolgirls I was hitting on are all decent people.)