31 March 2008

Time grows short

Last week, I passed the six-month mark for unemployment. In the time since I lost my job, I've attended job fairs, went on some interviews, and oh yes, taken a few Cisco classes, and even got my CCNA certification.
You'd think these would be worthwhile endeavors, but I have yet to even get a job offer.
I interviewed with Walgreens last week for a help center position. Thought I interviewed pretty well, and I did reasonably well on this skills assessment. The job offered training. It was an entry-level sort of thing. I figured with my certification and my prior background learning stuff in telecom, I'd be a good candidate for the job.
Turns out Walgreens didn't figure the same thing. They notified me this morning via email.
I'm supposed to hear later today about a contract position with AT&T, and hopefully, hear about a second interview from a company in Oak Park. Ideally, I'd like to get the job in Oak Park, as the office is about a mile from my apartment. I could walk to work every day.
But, with the six-month mark past, I know my unemployment money will run out soon. Real soon. I still have some cash stashed aside, but I don't want to dip into it.
It's a frustrating thing being unemployed. I've polished my resume and taken classes to supposedly make me hireable. I keep asking myself what good it's done and what good am I if I can't even get a job. I know, I could work at Walmart or some other job, but I've been out of college over 10 years. I have a degree and some allegedly valuable experience and training. How am I gonna keep looking for a job if I'm stuck somewhere doing basic crap all day?
Parents and some friends have told me I've done good by getting my CCNA. I try telling myself that it wasn't worth it to move to keep my old job.
Look where I'm at now: jobless and scrambling to find something before the money runs out. I believe the term is desperation.
I really don't know what I can do anymore.

2 comments:

Dan said...

"(Skynet) became self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th."

This is a defining moment for you. Not to be discouraging in the least, but things do work out.

The author would not remember that before I launched into my career that I was 6 months unemployed, and so desperate that I took 3rd shift at Walgreens just to pay the rent so that I could interview during the days. My manager was this insecure prick who flaunted his modest college experience against my Masters. After awhile of doing that I got the job that launched my current career.

The cash for the severance, it's an evil panacea. You grow comfortable on it, and no one can tell you that you shouldn't without sounding like a supreme jerk.

Ultimately there's a larger issue at work. For me, it was depression and anxiety. When I re-discovered courage- or at least a fatalistic fearlessness- the job interviews started flowing and offers came. Then I told the prick at Walgreens to stuff it when I walked out.

That's when I bought my phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Lance said...

Bill, you're being depressed and stuff. I'm not blaming you, because I do exactly the same thing too.. For me, at least, it usually helps to know how my emotions tug on my view of reality, steering it in a different direction. Have trust that it's never quite as bad as you fear it will be.

Dan's idea about doing night shift is good (or perhaps something with flexible hours), and I like your idea about finding something close by. Wasn't there a 24 hr Jewel near you? It's OK to pick something, try it, then bail a week later if it sucks--no need to include ALL jobs on your resume, eh?

Just be sure to keep your real goal in mind at all times, eh?