03 November 2008

How I voted and why

For president, I voted for Obama. The clincher for me was Colin Powell's endorsement. I've had strong reservations about both Obama and McCain, but I think Obama is enough of his own man to be the right guy for the job right now. Yeah, he has ties to the Chicago political establishment, but when he ran for senate 4 years ago, he wasn't the establishment's handpicked candidate.
Almost everyone else, I voted Republican. Thing is, I live in Cook County, so those votes won't do me any good.
On judge retentions, I voted no for every last one of them. I'm sure there's some decent judges in the bunch, and again, I'm sure my vote won't make much difference. Still, I think the lot of 'em are bastards. If I can help get new judges in there, that's just fine.
I also voted in favor of an Illinois constitutional convention. I think there's a lot of crap wrong now with Illinois politics, and redoing the constitution might just be the way to right some wrongs. Also voted in favor of amending the existing constitution to allow voters to recall state officials. Illinois is on the verge of sending its second consecutive governor to jail. Rod Blagojevich hasn't yet been indicted, but the dominos are falling. It's only a matter of time.
In any case, regardless of what you believe, get out and vote if you haven't already. Yay, America. And stuff.

No comments: