30 April 2008

My Best Tournament Evar

I attend independant Warhammer Fantasy Battle Tournaments. Okay, stop laughing.

This week was a big one on the circuit. Yes, there's a national series of these games. I said stop laughing.

And I had my best set of games ever. There were 80 participating. Came in 23rd overall, and 9th in game score. I paint my own army, and I'm not a natural comedian when I'm playing, so I'm otherwise an average player. But going 3-1-1 while obtaining all the scenario objectives... that's a first for me. It brings my tournament record to 4-13-8. Considering I only really started playing the game 3 years ago, and my group has at least half a dozen guys that have won the tournaments, let's just say that I've been learning this game the hard way. My wife pointed out that I didn't win a game at the game store for a solid year at one point.

Granted, the game has a huge rulebook, something like 128 pages or so. When you lose your games on one technicality from a book that has about 10,000 of them, you hit a point where you say "this sucks and I don't wanna play no more," or "I can do this."

This weekend, though, the technicalities were my opponents' undoing.

From a fantasy battle perspective, there were some amazing things and some funny things, things you would read of in a cheap, world-specific fiction novel. A military-sized magic missile spell blowing apart a unit of heavy cavalry as they lined up for a charge. A group of minor daemons setting a drow matriarch and her dark pegasus mount on fire and watching her die. An arch-daemon scaring the piss out of an army general and his battle standard bearer and chief wizard. A bold group of peasant archers that defies the attacks of a charging hellspawn and banishes them. Two groups of trolls that, after beating their opponent, are so stupid that they literally run into each other.

I would remember more, but I was drinking a bit as well.

3 comments:

The Chronek said...

Dan has failed to say
that he had the most fun whilst
sniffing all the paint.

Lance said...

Congratulations.. I mean, about the paint. I played D&D Minis (which all come pre-painted) last week and almost burned the rule book out of frustration. Needless to say, I lost. (damn routing rules) ..and with no "well, my paint job looks better than yours" consolation psychology, I really don't look forward to playing again any time soon.. :P

Dan said...

http://www.leadership2.org/QCR08_Gallery/pages/img_0039.htm

My beer. My army is clasing with the pegasi to the right, and my opponent's head is visible over the beer.

http://www.leadership2.org/QCR08_Gallery/pages/img_0047.htm

Me in the blue hat, my army deployed to knock the stuffing out of the orc player.

http://www.leadership2.org/QCR08_Gallery/pages/img_0060.htm

Me punishing the orc player's right flank. Yes, that's a bowling shirt with flaming dice on the back. It's our group's logo.