03 August 2008

The bunny chronicles: cell phone charger, stereo wire and a prison break

One of the things I learned the hard way with this rabbit is to never, ever, ever let her get near any wires unsupervised. She can chew through them very quickly.
I discovered this about 12 days ago. After getting out of her cage, she hopped near a table with my cell phone charger and a stereo speaker on it. Both had wire either plugged in or otherwise within biting range.
A short time later, I went looking for her. I noticed several small, thin pieces of black cord on the floor. I looked at the beast, and I swear she knew she was in trouble. I looked at that cord, then at my cell phone charger, realizing she'd destroyed it. A few yelled curse words later, and the damn thing darted under my bed.
She didn't get out of the cage for a while after that.
A short time later, I found out she chewed through stereo wire connecting to one of my speakers.
The cell phone charger was a total loss, so I ordered a new one online.
I was able to fix the speaker wire by stripping the ends the beast chewed through. I twisted the wire ends together and secured it with electrical tape.
After this, I found any loose wires in my apartment and wrapped them up, either using rubber bands or twist ties. This seems to have deterred the beast in her quest for destruction.
More recently, while the beast was out and about, I offered her a small piece of cardboard. She plays with it like it's the best thing she ever had. She gnaws on it happily and tosses it about her cage.
Go figure.
Before leaving for work last night, I let the beast out of her cage again. We have something of a routine now: she hops around for a bit, goes somewhere she knows she'll cause trouble, then darts under the bed to get away from me. When I want her to go back in the cage, I'll move the bed back and forth until she goes to her cage.
I could swear I closed the cage door after she went back.
The reason I mention this is because she chews on the cage bars. She props herself up on her hind legs, latches onto the cage door with her front paws, and shakes the cage.
So, I got ready for work, then I look and see her cage door open. I could swear I closed it.
Naturally, the beast went under my bed again. So, I again chased her back into the cage.
This time, I secured the cage door with some twist ties. For added measure, I propped my toolbox up against the door.
I really think she got out on her own. She's plotting her escape and my destruction even now, as I type this from work.
Rotten little beast.

No comments: