27 August 2008

Lunch at the Firing Range

Sometimes you can be reminded that you are in a unique job, and even if you no longer want to work there you still can point to the cool things about the place of employment.

My employer decided to have a 'sales event' wherein he invited several, er, like minded individuals and we all went out for lunch, then convened... on a firing range. Yes.

The last time I fired a weapon I was in college, and that was one day. The last time I fired a weapon with any regularity was 24 years ago, same weapon- .22 rifle.

There were eight of us. Half of the individuals involved brought their weapons, and we dropped an hour target shooting. I was able to fire three different types of pistols- a .357 revolver, a .45 semi-automatic, and a smaller-caliber semi-automatic that was arguably the best weapon to fire.

I can hear the peanut gallery now. No. No one is dead as a result of me stepping to the firing line.

There was significant muzzle flash from the .357, but I preferred to shoot it. The semi-automatics were less accurate, or at least I found them to be. And the ejected shells from the semi-autos rained like heavy brass confetti. One of the party was a former pistol instructor, so I got a freebie instruction from a pro on how to fire. Not surprisingly, I did fairly well the first time out as a result.

Afterwards, I contemplated doing that as a hobby. It has a high introductory cost: the weapon itself is at least hundreds, the license, and the schooling (because I won't own a weapon without being fully aware of how to maintain it). But once past that, you're really only paying for ammunition and cleaning supplies.

One thing's for sure- shooting firearms is not for the jittery. It didn't give me the "sense of power" that it gives alot of people, but then I wasn't shooting to destroy. I was shooting for accuracy. And it was muy fun.

2 comments:

Lance said...

Putting a deadly weapon in the hands of a disheartened employee... genius! I mean, oddly, that is really cool, a great idea. As long as the employee isn't disgruntled, it seems an interesting experience.

If you like the aiming & firing range atmosphere but dislike the noise, I suggest archery. Adds a bit of physicality to the mix, but not as much as you might think. (even a skinny pole like me can do it.) And arguably, a bow is safer to keep at home than a firearm. ... Insider tip: Walmart hunting sets are much better than the pro shop guy will admit.

But hobbies are best to share--if you got pals who do the firearms thing, go for it!

Dan said...

I, too, also prefer archery. At this stage, it's very easy to identify a disheartened employee- or at least one you wouldn't bring to a firing range. When your career is on the line with object that require little effort for you to face legal action... well, let's just say people learn how to 'act professional.'

I own a 55-lb compound bow, currently disassembled in MD. Looking forward to picking it up again.

I'm not quite as off the chain as I used to be. I find devious to be far more intimidating.