26 August 2008

The Bunny Chronicles: Takin' it back

It's been over a week since I returned from my too-short vacation, and still, the rotten little beast has found new ways to either amuse me or tick me off.
I returned home on the 17th in the early evening. While on vacation, my sister texted me, regaling me with tales of the beast's cuteness. My mom went with my sister to my apartment to take care of the beast when I wasn't there. One of the rabbit's new tricks is to rest on my slippers when I'm not wearing them. Of course, my mom and sister saw this and immediately thought this was the cutest thing they'd ever seen. "Oh, she misses you!" my sister said.
If she only knew.
So, yeah. I got in the door, luggage in hand. First thing the beast does? She grabs her food dish with her teeth and throws it on the floor of the cage, dumping all her food there.
Great.
So, in my limited wisdom, I thought, "Hey, she can't spill the food dish if she doesn't have a food dish." So, I removed the food dish from her cage, opting instead to leave her pellet food on a plastic cage shelf thing. This still allowed her to eat the pellets, but she had no dish to throw around anymore.
I thought I'd solved the rabbit food waste problem.
Once again, I was wrong.
A few days ago, I'd noticed there was a large amount of pellet food on the floor just outside her cage. "How did that get there?" I wondered.
That question was answered yesterday. After work, I looked in her cage and saw she'd hopped onto the shelf. While hopping up there, she'd managed to knock a lot of food out of the cage, onto the floor.
Can't win for losin'.
Also last week, I let the rabbit out of her cage for a short time one morning. She made a beeline for the same section of stereo wire she'd previously destroyed, gnawing through it lickety-split. She hopped away as soon as she noticed that I saw her.
At least now I know how to fix stereo wire somewhat quickly.
Rotten little beast.

No comments: